10/14/2007

I have found myself feeling differently than I have ever felt before. As I am approaching my two month mark here in Costa Rica, I occasionally find myself longing for the "normalcy" I left back in The States. One of the other missionaries, brought me and some friends to a neighboring city to eat lunch today, he said we were going to "Outback", but as we neared the Restaurant I gasped as I realised this was the "REAL" Outback, just like in The States, I could not believe it, it was wonderful!!! The menus were even in English, they filled your glasses without being asked, and the waiter even spoke some English! I was so blessed!

As I type this I listen to worship music playing in Spanish, rare birds chirping outside my window, and I feel as if I am in a completely different world than those I left at home. As leaves are changing colors and begin dropping along with the temperature back home, I realise it is so hard for me to comprehend the fact that the entire world is not in a perpetual state of summer time. At times I long for the things that seemed so normal, like getting in my car and driving somewhere...anywhere. Like stopping by one of the fifteen Starbucks I pass on my five minute drive to work and getting a grande black and white mocha, nonfat milk, no whip. Things that I never thought I would miss like wearing warm socks, a scarf, and my Jean Jacket. Yet it is quite amazing how I can long for so many things yet be so content all at the same time. I do miss home, I do miss the "normalcy" and the routines of my previous life, I definitely miss my friends and family, but in the midst of missing so many things I am so grateful to be where I am. There is nothing quite like being in the center of God's will. Nothing like knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are right where the Lord has called you to be. So when tears fill the brims of my eyes as I see a little Honda Civic drive by and I miss my car so deeply, or when my niece asks me to get on an airplane and come see her, I just have to take a deep breath and and smile and know that truly I would be miserable any other place. I am truly grateful to be stepping toward the dreams and the desires that the Lord has placed in my heart. There is no other place I'd rather be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

*sigh* Socks... I miss those too! I can't even imagine putting socks on my feet here. Just the thought of it makes my feet choke and sputter at the idea of suffocation!

I can completely relate to your sentiments! We went to TGIFridays here the other day so that I could indulge my craving for a cheeseburger . I hear there is a WalMart in Costa Rica - for some reason this is totally funny to me. There is a Costco store here, which is totally surreal. It's as if I stepped into some freakish transportation portal and I've been sucked back into Olympia whenever I walk through the doors. Then I look at all the food labels and realize I am back in Panama because everything is written in Spanish and I have no idea what I'm reading!
We are still praying for a speedy return to (whole) family life, but I know I also need to be happy where God has me now. Thanks for the encouragement to be content where I am.